- newHow the NSA leaks may help EFF sue the government into defending its bulk surveillance programs
The "other shoe" in the Edward Snowden NSA leaks has been the potential effect of all these disclosures on the Electronic Frontier Foundation's efforts to force the government to account for itself in court.
- 9 hours ago, 19 Jun 13, 3:00am -
- newReal Stuff: The Joeist Philosophy
"I was working in a small tavern in Moscow, Idaho, when I got the call... I took the next pickup truck to California." From Real Stuff #2 (Fantagraphics, March 1991).
- 10 hours ago, 19 Jun 13, 1:16am -
- newSeinfeld's theme is scary at 1/12 speed
Slowing down the Seinfeld theme by 1200% turns it into a David Lynch soundtrack, full of nightmares and menace, as Gorge Catanda demonstrates with this 8 minutes youtube.
- 11 hours ago, 19 Jun 13, 1:00am -
- newEnigma Variations
Composed by Edward Elgar between 1898 and '99, Variations on an Original Theme for Orchestra ("Engima"), Op. 36, has long been my favorite piece of classical music.
- 13 hours ago, 18 Jun 13, 10:17pm -
- newCivil disobedience and the Internet
Molly sez, "I wrote this short essay over at iO9 on what the future of civil disobedience could look like. Though in the past civil disobedience was enacted in the streets, with people placing their bodies in harm's way for their cause, now online ac…
- 13 hours ago, 18 Jun 13, 10:14pm -
- newTiger's whiskers are pulse detectors
Sierra Club magazine discusses "4 Ordinary Animals with Superhero Abilities." (Flight is not included.) My favorite tidbit is about a tiger's whiskers: They are filled with sensitive nerve endings, which help them detect distances and changes in thei…
- 15 hours ago, 18 Jun 13, 8:36pm -
- newPublic Resource wants to liberate tax records for US nonprofits - converting 100lbs of scanned bitmaps on DVDs into searchable data on $1.5T worth of activity
Rogue archivist Carl Malamud sez, On November 1, Public.Resource.Org released a new service which put 6,461,326 US nonprofit tax returns on the net for bulk download, developers, and search engines to access.
- 15 hours ago, 18 Jun 13, 8:06pm -
- newCheck out the latest original long-reads in Boing Boing's Features archive
Did you know that we publish several original feature articles each week on Boing Boing? We're more than the old-school linkblog this website began as, way back in the year 2000 (we were a zine before that, but man, that's a whole 'nother saga). …
- 16 hours ago, 18 Jun 13, 7:33pm -
- newVideo of Cambodia's homebrew "bamboo railroad"
At long last, here's video of the Cambodian bamboo railroad I wrote about in 2006; this being a homebrew railroad running at 40km/h off an electric motor, along decrepit and degenerating rails that only see one scheduled train per week.
- 16 hours ago, 18 Jun 13, 7:10pm -
- newAnatomical glass sculptures from MRI/CT scans
Fine artist Angela Palmer takes CT/MRI scanner of people and animals, engraves the data onto thin glass sheets that are then combined into 3D sculptures.
- 17 hours ago, 18 Jun 13, 6:36pm -